Sunday, October 18, 2009

Great Comics - Buck Rogers

So I was thinking "what would I want" from a blog. It's not what a creator is eating or watching on TV or playing on PS3. I want to know what creators are reading and why. So I figured that was something folks might want to know from me too.

With that in mind, I decided to write up a few notes on some titles I've really been enjoying. The first one is Buck Rogers from Dynamite Entertainment.

I admit it, I was skeptical about how good this comic would be. I'm a nut for classic stuff from TV and comics so giving the new Buck a chance was no stretch for me. I've got the old Gil Gerard series on DVD, a bunch of the Gold Key comics, and hard cover collections of Winsor McKay's classic comic strips. And frankly...Farscape reinvented the Buck Rogers mythology more effectively than anything I've read or watched this past decade.

But I am completely won over and loving the new Buck Rogers comic series! From the John Cassaday covers to the Carlos Rafael interiors, the book is incredible to look at. The mixing of modern and classic design elements makes for a unique and entertaining book. But the one element that really sold me on this comic is the writing. The take on Buck is fresh and the sci-fi world they inhabit is a new look for the future. Gone is the shiny Utopian backdrop replaced by a brutal and down right savage cannibalistic environment. Buck is far more "Crichtonish" than he has ever been on film or paper and it really feels right.

The only thing that bothers me about this book is that the new Buck Rogers was apparently born in 1989...man I feel old now. That aside, this is one of the comics I look forward to each month with real anticipation. Check it out and you won't be disappointed.

http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com/htmlfiles/viewProduct.html?PRO=C725130121509

1 comment:

  1. I feel old on a daily basis, Jim. I swear I'm always the oldest person in a room. But at least I still get carded in bars! That's what a $150 salon dye job will do for ya.

    ReplyDelete